Volunteer opportunities at Petrified Forest National Park are as diverse as the natural and cultural resources. This is the place to use skills you already have or to learn new ones.
Housing is available for volunteers but is limited, especially in the summer. A minimum workweek of 32 hours for volunteers and 40 hours for student interns, as well as a 2 month minimum commitment, is required to be eligible for park housing. Available housing includes:
- 3-bedroom, 2-bath houses for 3 or more volunteers, student interns, and/or researchers
- 1-bedroom apartments, usually reserved for couples
- trailer spaces with hookups.
Positions are in Interpretation, Resource Management, Administration, and Maintenance. See below for some of the duties within each division.
- visitor center operations
- presenting formal programs and making informal visitor contacts throughout the park
- behind-the-scenes work, including correspondence, word processing, creative writing, coordinating special events, web work, and photography
- habitat restoration
- flora and fauna documentation
- boundary surveys
- data entry
- water and air quality monitoring
- archeology and paleontology research projects
- management and care of the park museum collection objects
- word processing
- research for special projects
- fence repair
- trail maintenance
- trash pickup and custodial duties
- carpentry, plumbing, electrical, or painting jobs if you have certifications
To apply for a volunteer position, send a Volunteer Application to the address below. Include a cover letter listing the dates you are available and your reasons for applying to Petrified Forest National Park. If you are a full-time or part-time student applying for a student internship, you must include your educational history.
To apply, or to find out more regarding the Petrified Forest National Park volunteer program, please contact the volunteer coordinator at Petrified Forest National Park.
ATTN: Volunteer Coordinator
PO Box 2217
Petrified Forest, AZ 86028
Phone: (928) 524-6228 ext 264